Today’s Meeting: Amanda Palmieri – Lifted Reiki
ALSO – Remember to bring your voting stub to club on Tuesday for a free ticket for the weekly raffle. Remember to vote early & often!
November 13th – Joe Fagnani – Service Paws of Central Pa.
November 20th – Andrew Ritchey – Ritchey’s Dairy
November 27th – Chuck Gojmerac – Morrison’s Cove Memorial Park
Whacha’ May Have Missed Last Week: Our guest speaker was our very own self-proclaimed stellar speaker, Dave Aikens. Dave covered a number of items from his recent trip to the AMBUCS National Conference in Reno. The highlights of the conference included:
- The Great Reno Bike Build – he participated in the event where 35 Amtrykes were assembled.
- Educational Sessions – “Show Me the Money” had numerous clubs discussing their fundraising activities including beer-fests, auctions, bowling tournaments, etc. Dave will give the ideas to Project chairman Linda Horomanski. “Growing Your Chapter” Session – membership recruitment ideas were presented such as assigning new members a mentor, using United Way volunteers, and using student groups, possibly to build Amtrykes.
- Trek for Trykes Walk – Dave was the 2nd overall fundraiser with $800 raised from our members and he walked the entire course, much to his knees chagrin.
- Great Tryke Giveaway – 63 Amtrykes were presented to children and adults in a rodeo style event.
- President’s Reception – Where it was announced that nearly $200,000 in scholarships were awarded to 277 individuals and $9 million has been awarded since 1955. Also, 55,000 Amtrykes have been presented to date. Also announced was the decision to have our Amtrykes manufactured by the Bicycle Corporation of America out of South Carolina. This transition will take place over the next two years. Also announced was the use of new logos for AMBUCS which will discontinue the use of the word ‘disabilities’. Next week’s bulletin will have those new logos. Finally, Pittsburgh has been chosen to host next year’s National Conference on October 2nd to the 5th.
Dave noted that the conference was invigorating and that he hoped the club could have a nice representation at next year’s conference in Pittsburgh…stating that he would certainly be there.
Guests of the Day:
…..There were none.
News of the Week:
…..President Kristan called to the front table Emily Sollenberger for her induction into the club. After administering the membership oath to Emily, Kristan presented her with her AMBUCS pin.
…..Social Chairman Jim Huff announced a social at the Rail City Brewing Company at 1415 11th Ave in Altoona this Thurday evening beginning at 5:30. The club will be providing appetizers and will purchase your first beverage of the evening. Spouses and significant others are welcome as are any perspective members that you might want to invite. No reservations necessary…see you there!
…..Today is the deadline to order Cooke Tavern dried soup mixes that we sold at the recent Pumpkinfest. Ken Decker has also been selling some of the remaining stock of the two soups that we had left over from our booth. See Ken to hand in your order or to buy some of the soup mixes.
…..Fundraising Chairman, Linda Horomanski distributed order sheets for our annual Christmas Candy sale for those members who didn’t get one from Kathy Storm. Linda announced that the order deadline is November 20th and that candy delivery will be made at club on Tuesday December 4th. Additionally, boxes of Gardners chocloate covered pretzel sticks and Peanut Butter Meltaway bars can be ordered for sales in your office by calling Kathy at 931-0351. As we offer each year, any member who sells $500 of candy or makes a $200 donation (the profit from $500 of candy), or some combination of the two will become a $500 club member and will enjoy a special recognition lunch next year. Please consider supporting the club as part of the $500 club.
…..President Kristan noted that at the AMBUCS booth at Pumpkinfest she spoke to a mother of a child who would benefit from one of our Amtrykes. The Amtryke for 3 year old Ansel Meadows-Rader from Cresson was built over the weekend by Dave Aikens and John Lloyd. Arrangements to present the tryke are being discussed with the family by Amtryke chairman Michele Lloyd.
…..November’s Ambuc birthdays and club anniversaries include:
1st – Dave Aikens & Kristan Zolnoski 1977 – Paul Dick – 41 Years!
2nd – Mike Strait 1981 – Dave Mason
5th – Linda Horomanski 1993 – Mike Knote
29th – Bob Fiore
30th – Bruce Brower
…..Last week’s raffle ticket winner was Karen Lemme. Karen tried her best at finding one of the two Jokers but came up empty by selecting the Two of Spades. This week’s winner will be choosing from the remaining 43 cards (41 cards – 2 Jokers) for a chance to win the pot of $260.
In Closing: Since there wasn’t much space for a long joke today….here are a few “groaners”:
- Today I learned that writer Stephen King has a son named Joe. I’m not joking, but he is.
- So, I said to the judge, “60% of my parking tickets are bogus”. He said, “Repeat infractions”? So, I said, “Okay, 3/5 of my parking tickets are bogus”.
- What’s Yoda’s last name? Layheehoo.
- My earliest childhood memory was visiting the eye doctor for glasses. Life before that was a blur.
- My wife was furious at me for throwing a snowball at our son. On top of that I’m now banned from the maternity ward.